Diabetes affects how your body uses blood sugar. Too much blood sugar over long periods can cause serious health problems, but treatments are available.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) can be the result of physical or psychological causes or both. Discover what causes ED and what treatments are available.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Heart failure means your heart can't efficiently pump blood throughout your body. Medications, and sometimes devices or surgery, can help you manage this condition.
Joint pain can have many causes and can often be treated at home.
Find out how this battery of blood tests helps your doctor diagnose and monitor liver disease.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Dec. 13, 2012
- AskMayoExpert. Hereditary hemochromatosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Bacon BR, et al. Diagnosis and management of hemochromatosis: 2011 Practice Guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Hepatology. 2011;54:328.
- What is hemochromatosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hemo/. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- Eng KG, et al. Natural history and management of HFE-Hemochromatosis. Seminars in Liver Disease. 2011;31:293.
- Hemochromatosis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemochromatosis/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Poterucha JJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 29, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.