Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Nov. 18, 2011
- Heat injury and heat exhaustion. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00319. Accessed Aug. 17, 2011.
- Extreme heat: A prevention guide to promote your personal health and safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/heat_guide.asp. Accessed Aug. 17, 2011.
- Platt M, et al. Heat illness. In: Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Aug. 18, 2011.
- Mechem CC. Severe hyperthermia (heat stroke) in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 18, 2011.
- Mattis JG, et al. Heat stroke: Helping patients keep their cool. Nurse Practitioner. 2011;36:48.
- Using the heat index: A guide for employers. U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration. http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillness/heat_index/index.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.