Symptoms of heartburn include:
- A burning pain in the chest that usually occurs after eating and may occur at night
- Pain that worsens when lying down or bending over
When to see a doctor
Seek immediate help if you experience severe chest pain, especially when combined with other signs and symptoms such as difficulty breathing or jaw or arm pain. Chest pain may be a symptom of a heart attack.
Make an appointment with your doctor if:
May. 21, 2011
- Heartburn occurs more than twice a week
- Symptoms persist despite use of over-the-counter medications
- You have difficulty swallowing
- Ferri FF. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00016-0--sc0030&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00016-0--sc0030&uniqId=239147718-3. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ. Medical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Michelfelder AJ, et al. Integrative medicine and gastrointestinal disease. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:255.
- Kiefer D. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2954-0..50046-6&isbn=978-1-4160-2954-0&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2954-0..50046-6&uniqId=239147718-7. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Achem SR. Noncardiac chest pain - Treatment approaches. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2008;37:859.
- Understanding heartburn and reflux disease. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/heartburn-gerd. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ, et al. American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1383.
- Fennerty MB, et al. Short- and long-term management of heartburn and other acid-related disorders: Development of an algorithm for primary care providers. The Journal of Family Practice. 2009;58:S1.
- Weight management. U. S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.nutrition.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=11&tax_level=3&tax_subject=390&topic_id=1741&level3_id=6295&level4_id=0&level5_id=0&placement_default=0. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2011.