Heartburn is a burning sensation in your chest, just behind your breastbone. Heartburn pain is often worse when lying down or bending over.
Occasional heartburn is common and no cause for alarm. Most people can manage the discomfort of heartburn on their own with lifestyle changes and over-the-counter medications.
More frequent heartburn that interferes with your daily routine may be a symptom of something more serious that requires help from a doctor.
May. 21, 2011
- Ferri FF. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00016-0--sc0030&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00016-0--sc0030&uniqId=239147718-3. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ. Medical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Michelfelder AJ, et al. Integrative medicine and gastrointestinal disease. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:255.
- Kiefer D. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2954-0..50046-6&isbn=978-1-4160-2954-0&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2954-0..50046-6&uniqId=239147718-7. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Achem SR. Noncardiac chest pain - Treatment approaches. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2008;37:859.
- Understanding heartburn and reflux disease. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/heartburn-gerd. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ, et al. American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1383.
- Fennerty MB, et al. Short- and long-term management of heartburn and other acid-related disorders: Development of an algorithm for primary care providers. The Journal of Family Practice. 2009;58:S1.
- Weight management. U. S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.nutrition.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=11&tax_level=3&tax_subject=390&topic_id=1741&level3_id=6295&level4_id=0&level5_id=0&placement_default=0. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2011.