In heart valve disease, one or more of the valves in your heart doesn't work properly.
Your heart has four valves that keep blood flowing in the correct direction. In some cases, one or more of the valves don't open or close properly. This can cause the blood flow through your heart to your body to be disrupted.
Your heart valve disease treatment depends on the heart valve affected and the type and severity of the valve disease. Sometimes heart valve disease requires surgery to repair or replace the heart valve.
Heart valve disease care at Mayo Clinic
March 03, 2017
- What is heart valve disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hvd. Accessed Aug. 15, 2016.
- Nishimura RA, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2014;148:e1.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 3, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Mitral regurgitation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Aortic valve stenosis (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Bonow RO, et al., eds. Valvular heart disease. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 16, 2016.
- Ruiz CE, et al. Transcatheter therapies for the treatment of valvular and paravalvular regurgitation in acquired and congenital valvular heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;66:169.
- Daniels BK. Echo Information Management System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct 18, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 23, 2016.
- Taggarse AK, et al. How has robotic repair changed the landscape of mitral valve surgery? Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery. 2015;4:358.
- How can I make my lifestyle healthier? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/ToolsForYourHeartHealth/Answers-by-Heart-Fact-Sheets-Lifestyle-and-Risk-Reduction_UCM_300611_Article.jsp#.WC9socnFjVY. Accessed Nov. 18, 2016.
- Getting support. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Caregiver/ReachOut/GettingSupport/Getting-Support_UCM_301847_Article.jsp#.WCn5QdgzXIU. Accessed Nov. 4, 2016.
News, connections and conversations for your health