Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Biofeedback is a technique in which you use your mind to control your body, possibly helping with relaxation and a variety of health conditions.
Cluster headaches usually occur repeatedly on one side of your head and cause intense pain that feels like a stabbing sensation in your eye.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) — Overview covers definition, risks and results of this procedure.
A migraine isn't an ordinary headache. In addition to severe head pain, it can cause nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Nasal congestion: Causes and when to see a doctor.
Runny nose: What's causing your sniffles?
A tension headache is the most common form of headache. A number of treatments are available to help you deal with the pain.
Jun. 26, 2013
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Headaches in children. American Headache Society. http://www.achenet.org/resources/headaches_in_children/. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Arruda MA, et al. Frequent headaches in the preadolescent pediatric population: A population-based study. Neurology. 2010;74:903.
- Robberstad L, et al. An unfavorable lifestyle and recurrent headaches among adolescents: The HUNT Study. Neurology. 2010;75:712.
- Seshia SS. Chronic daily headache in children and adolescents. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2012;16:60.
- Monteith TS, et al. Tension type headache in adolescence and childhood: Where are we now? Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010;14:424.
- Arruda MA, et al. Cluster headache in children and adolescents: Ten years of follow-up in three pediatric cases. Cephalalgia. 2011;31:409.
- Treatment of migraine headache in children and adolescents. American Academy of Neurology. www.aan.com/practice/guideline/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.view&guideline=159. Accessed April 16, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.