It's difficult to prevent the spread of head lice among children in child care facilities and schools because there is so much close contact. And the chance of indirect transmission from personal items is slight.
However, it is generally a good practice for children to hang their garments on a separate hook from other children's garments and not to share combs, brushes, hats and scarves. A worry about head lice transmission is not considered a good reason to avoid sharing protective headgear for sports and bicycling when sharing is necessary.
June 18, 2014
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Clinical report — Head lice. Pediatrics. 2010;126:392.
- Head lice: Frequently asked questions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/gen_info/faqs.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Pickering LK, et al., eds. Red Book Online. 29th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2012. http://aapredbook.aappublications.org. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Takano-Lee M, et al. Home remedies to control head lice: Assessment of home remedies to control the human head louse, Pediculus humanus capitis. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2004;19:393.
- Di Campli E, et al. Activity of tea tree oil and nerolidol alone or in combination against Pediculus capitis (head lice) and its eggs. Parasitology Research. 2012;111:1985.
- Gunning K, et al. Pediculosis and scabies: Treatment update. American Family Physician. 2012;86:535.
- Pollack RJ, et al. Overdiagnosis and consequent mismanagement of head louse infestations in North America. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 2000;19:689.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Pediculosis capitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Head lice: Diagnosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/diagnosis.html. Accessed Feb. 3, 2014.
- Anise. Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Ylang ylang oil. Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Mumcuoglu KY, et al. The in vivo pediculicidal efficacy of a natural remedy. The Israel Medical Association Journal. 2002;4:790.
- Hoecker, JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 31, 2014.