- Collaboration. At Mayo Clinic, ear, nose and throat specialists (otorhinolaryngologists) work with oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists and radiologists to form a multidisciplinary team that provides whole-person care for people with head and neck cancers. Other professionals are included as needed.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience diagnosing and treating head and neck cancers. Your care team is prepared with the knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the care you need.
- Access to the latest. Mayo Clinic doctors have access to the latest diagnostic and treatment options. Examples include minimally invasive operations, such as transoral robotic surgery, and advanced radiation therapy techniques, such as intensity-modulated radiation therapy.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with head and neck cancers include surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy, as well as other treatments, including experimental therapies.
- Rehabilitation services. At Mayo Clinic, your cancer treatment includes a personalized rehabilitation plan to help promote recovery and improve quality of life. Rehabilitation requires the expertise of a team of rehabilitation medicine specialists, such as dentists, prosthodontists, nurses, speech pathologists and physical therapists.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Nov. 06, 2014
- Head and neck cancers. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 3, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Head and neck cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.