Mayo Clinic conducts research related to tumors of the head and neck through the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group and the Department of Otorhinolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery.
One of the major advancements Mayo Clinic has contributed to the field of head and neck surgery is developing a robotic tonsil and tongue base tumor removal technique. This technique allows better access to tonsil and tongue base tumors, results in fewer adverse side effects, and improves quality of life after surgery. Other areas of research involve:
- Drug development, including immunotherapy and targeted biological agents
- Evaluation of new radiation therapy and chemotherapy combinations
- Prevention of side effects of radiation therapy to improve quality of life
- Investigation of gene therapy
- Evaluation of new technologies
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on head and neck cancers on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Jun. 27, 2013