Treatments and drugsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Time is the only sure cure for a hangover. In the meantime, here are a few things you can do to help yourself feel better:
Dec. 20, 2014
- Fill your water bottle. Sip water or fruit juice to prevent dehydration. Resist any temptation to treat your hangover with more alcohol. It'll only make you feel worse.
- Have a snack. Bland foods, such as toast and crackers, may boost your blood sugar and settle your stomach. Bouillon soup can help replace lost salt and potassium.
- Take a pain reliever. A standard dose of an over-the-counter pain reliever may ease your headache. But aspirin can irritate your stomach. And if you regularly drink alcohol to excess, acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) can cause severe liver damage even in doses previously thought to be safe.
- Go back to bed. If you sleep long enough, your hangover may be gone when you awaken.
- Beyond hangovers: Understanding alcohol's impact on your health. National Institute on Alcohol and Alcoholism. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Hangovers/beyondHangovers.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Prat G, et al. Alcohol hangover: A critical review of explanatory factors. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental. 2009;24:259.
- Maranan J. Too much fun? Natural Health. 2010;41:1.
- Alcohol use and health. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- The elusive hangover cure. British Columbia Drug and Poison Information Centre. http://dpic.org/article/professional/elusive-hangover-cure. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Hangover cures. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/Hangovers.aspx. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Penning R, et al. Cognitive aspects: Alcohol hangover symptoms and their contribution to the overall hangover severity. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2012;47:248.
- Alcohol overdose: The dangers of drinking too much. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/AlcoholOverdoseFactsheet/Overdosefact.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- A word about alcohol poisoning. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-poisoning. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Schneekloth TD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 6, 2014.