A hangover is a group of unpleasant signs and symptoms that can develop after drinking too much alcohol. As if feeling awful weren't bad enough, frequent hangovers are also associated with poor performance and conflict at work.
As a general rule, the more alcohol you drink, the more likely you are to have a hangover the next day. But there's no magic formula to tell you how much you can safely drink and still avoid a hangover.
However unpleasant, most hangovers go away on their own, though they can last up to 24 hours. If you choose to drink alcohol, doing so responsibly can help you avoid future hangovers.
Dec. 20, 2014
- Beyond hangovers: Understanding alcohol's impact on your health. National Institute on Alcohol and Alcoholism. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Hangovers/beyondHangovers.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Prat G, et al. Alcohol hangover: A critical review of explanatory factors. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental. 2009;24:259.
- Maranan J. Too much fun? Natural Health. 2010;41:1.
- Alcohol use and health. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- The elusive hangover cure. British Columbia Drug and Poison Information Centre. http://dpic.org/article/professional/elusive-hangover-cure. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Hangover cures. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/Hangovers.aspx. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Penning R, et al. Cognitive aspects: Alcohol hangover symptoms and their contribution to the overall hangover severity. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2012;47:248.
- Alcohol overdose: The dangers of drinking too much. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/AlcoholOverdoseFactsheet/Overdosefact.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- A word about alcohol poisoning. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-poisoning. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Schneekloth TD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 6, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.