Proposed alternative remedies for hangovers abound, but studies haven't found any natural remedies that consistently improve hangover symptoms.
Talk with your doctor before trying any alternative medicine. Keep in mind that natural doesn't always mean safe. Your doctor can help you understand possible risks and benefits before you try a treatment.
Dec. 20, 2014
- Beyond hangovers: Understanding alcohol's impact on your health. National Institute on Alcohol and Alcoholism. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Hangovers/beyondHangovers.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Prat G, et al. Alcohol hangover: A critical review of explanatory factors. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental. 2009;24:259.
- Maranan J. Too much fun? Natural Health. 2010;41:1.
- Alcohol use and health. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- The elusive hangover cure. British Columbia Drug and Poison Information Centre. http://dpic.org/article/professional/elusive-hangover-cure. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Hangover cures. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/Hangovers.aspx. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Penning R, et al. Cognitive aspects: Alcohol hangover symptoms and their contribution to the overall hangover severity. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2012;47:248.
- Alcohol overdose: The dangers of drinking too much. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/AlcoholOverdoseFactsheet/Overdosefact.htm. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- A word about alcohol poisoning. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-poisoning. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Schneekloth TD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 6, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.