Lifestyle and home remedies
Wearing proper footwear may ease your foot pain. Low-heeled shoes with a deep toe box and flexible material covering the toes can help. Make sure there's a half-inch (1.27 centimeters) of space between your longest toe and the inside tip of your shoe. Allowing adequate space for your toes will help relieve pressure and pain.
Avoid over-the-counter medicated corn-removal products, many of which contain acid that can cause severe skin irritation. It's also risky to try shaving or cutting an unsightly corn off your toe. Foot wounds can easily get infected, and foot infections are often difficult to treat, especially if you have diabetes or poor circulation.
You can avoid many foot, heel and ankle problems with shoes that fit properly. Here's what to look for when buying shoes:
- Adequate toe room. Avoid shoes with pointed toes.
- Low heels. Avoiding high heels will help you avoid back problems.
- Adjustability. Laced or strapped shoes are roomier and adjustable.
These additional tips can help you buy the right shoes:
- Buy shoes at the end of the day. Your feet swell throughout the day.
- Check your size. As you age, your shoe size might change — especially the width. Measure both feet and buy for the larger foot.
- Buy shoes that fit. Be sure shoes are comfortable before you buy them. If necessary, a shoe repair store might be able to stretch shoes in tight spots, but it's better to buy them to fit.
July 28, 2017
- Fields KB. Evaluation and diagnosis of common causes of foot pain in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 15, 2015.
- Hammer toe. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00160. Accessed Dec. 16, 2015.
- Malloy A, et al. Mallet toe deformity. Foot and Ankle Clinics of North America. 2011;16:537.
- Hammer toes. American Podiatric Medical Association. http://www.apma.org/Learn/FootHealth.cfm?ItemNumber=1863. Accessed Dec. 16, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Selecting footwear for healthier feet. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.