Some people have no signs or symptoms of hairy cell leukemia, but a blood test for another disease or condition may inadvertently reveal hairy cell leukemia.
Other times people with hairy cell leukemia experience signs and symptoms common to a number of diseases and conditions, such as:
- A feeling of fullness in your abdomen that may make it uncomfortable to eat more than a little at a time
- Easy bruising
- Recurring infections
- Weight loss
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any persistent signs and symptoms that worry you.
March 17, 2015
- Lichtman MA, et al. Williams Hematology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=358. Accessed Oct. 16, 2014.
- Jain P, et al. Update on the biology and treatment options for hairy cell leukemia. Current Treatment Opinions in Oncology. 2014;15:187.
- Naik RR, et al. My treatment approach to hairy cell leukemia. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:67.
- Tallman MS, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of hairy cell leukemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2014.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 16, 2014.
- Hairy cell leukemia treatment (PDQ): Health professional version. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/hairy-cell-leukemia/HealthProfessional/page1. Accessed Nov. 8, 2014.
- Tallman MS, et al. Treatment of hairy cell leukemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2014.
- Integrative medicine & complementary and alternative therapies as part of blood cancer care. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/#/resourcecenter/freeeducationmaterials/treatment/integrativemedandcam. Accessed Nov. 8, 2014
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.