Mayo Clinic researchers have made important contributions to the understanding and treatment of hair loss. Doctors in the Department of Dermatology study hair loss as it relates to skin diseases and conditions. Because hair loss can occur in a wide range of diseases and conditions, other clinic departments are also involved in studying the condition.
See a list of publications by Mayo doctors on hair loss from PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Mar. 25, 2015
- Hair loss. U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hairloss.html. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair loss. American Academy of Family Physicians. www.familydoctor.org. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair transplants. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. www.asds.net. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Lavender. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, National Institutes of Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/lavender/ataglance.htm. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Alopecia (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Hair loss. American Cancer Society. www.cancer.org. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair loss. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeutic research.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Van Zuuren EJ, et al. Interventions for female pattern hair loss. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.14.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Feb. 13, 2015.
- Jimenez JJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of a low-level laser device in the treatment of male and female pattern hair loss: A multicenter, randomized, sham device-controlled, double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2014;15:115. www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Banka N, et al. Pattern hair loss in men: Diagnosis and treatment. Dermatologic Clinics. 2013;31:129.
- Mirmirati P. Age-related hair changes in men: Mechanisms and management of alopecia and graying. Maturitas. 2015;80:58.
- Champagne C, et al. Hair loss in infancy and childhood. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2014;25:2.
- Second opinion. Mayo Clinic Health Letter. 2013;11:8.
- Hair loss. American Academy of Dermatology. www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hair-loss. Accessed Sept. 30, 2014.
- McMichael A. Female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia in women): Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnosis. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 11, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 15, 2015.
- Safety announcement. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm258314.htm. Accessed March 11, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.