If you are otherwise well-nourished, taking nutritional supplements has not been shown to be helpful.
Some studies report that the patchy hair loss caused by alopecia areata may be helped by lavender oil combined with oils from thyme, rosemary and cedar wood. Further study is needed.
July 06, 2016
- Hair loss. U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hairloss.html. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair loss. American Academy of Family Physicians. www.familydoctor.org. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair transplants. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. www.asds.net. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Lavender. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, National Institutes of Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/lavender/ataglance.htm. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Alopecia (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Hair loss. American Cancer Society. www.cancer.org. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair loss. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeutic research.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Van Zuuren EJ, et al. Interventions for female pattern hair loss. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.14.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Feb. 13, 2015.
- Jimenez JJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of a low-level laser device in the treatment of male and female pattern hair loss: A multicenter, randomized, sham device-controlled, double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2014;15:115. www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Banka N, et al. Pattern hair loss in men: Diagnosis and treatment. Dermatologic Clinics. 2013;31:129.
- Mirmirati P. Age-related hair changes in men: Mechanisms and management of alopecia and graying. Maturitas. 2015;80:58.
- Champagne C, et al. Hair loss in infancy and childhood. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2014;25:2.
- Second opinion. Mayo Clinic Health Letter. 2013;11:8.
- Hair loss. American Academy of Dermatology. www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hair-loss. Accessed Sept. 30, 2014.
- McMichael A. Female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia in women): Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnosis. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 11, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 15, 2015.
- Safety announcement. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm258314.htm. Accessed March 11, 2015.