Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
June 03, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Pathogenesis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the clinical features of Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) and how is it diagnosed? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Treatment and prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Walling A, et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome. American Family Physician. 2013;87:191.
- Salmon DA, et al. Association between Guillain-Barre syndrome and influenza A (H1N1) 2009 monovalent inactivated vaccines in the USA: A meta-analysis. The Lancet. 2013;381:1461.
- Cruse RP, et al. Overview of Guillain-Barre syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2014.
- Van den Berg B, et al. Mortality in Guillain-Barre syndrome. Neurology. 2013;80:1650.
- Mauermann ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2014.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.