Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Guillain-Barre syndrome can be difficult to diagnose in its earliest stages. Its signs and symptoms are similar to those of other neurological disorders and may vary from person to person.
Your doctor is likely to start with a medical history and thorough physical examination.
Your doctor may then recommend:
Jan. 01, 2016
- Spinal tap (lumbar puncture). A small amount of fluid is withdrawn from the spinal canal in your lower back. The fluid is tested for a type of change that commonly occurs in people who have Guillain-Barre syndrome.
- Electromyography. Thin-needle electrodes are inserted into the muscles your doctor wants to study. The electrodes measure nerve activity in the muscles.
- Nerve conduction studies. Electrodes are taped to the skin above your nerves. A small shock is passed through the nerve to measure the speed of nerve signals.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Pathogenesis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the clinical features of Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) and how is it diagnosed? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Treatment and prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Walling A, et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome. American Family Physician. 2013;87:191.
- Salmon DA, et al. Association between Guillain-Barre syndrome and influenza A (H1N1) 2009 monovalent inactivated vaccines in the USA: A meta-analysis. The Lancet. 2013;381:1461.
- Cruse RP, et al. Overview of Guillain-Barre syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2014.
- Van den Berg B, et al. Mortality in Guillain-Barre syndrome. Neurology. 2013;80:1650.
- Mauermann ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2014.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2014.