Guillain-Barre syndrome can affect all age groups. But you're at slightly greater risk if:
- You're a man
- You're an older adult
Guillain-Barre syndrome may be triggered by:
Jun. 03, 2014
- Most commonly, infection with campylobacter, a type of bacteria often found in undercooked poultry
- Influenza virus
- Epstein-Barr virus
- HIV, the virus that causes AIDS
- Mycoplasma pneumonia
- Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Rarely, influenza vaccinations or childhood vaccinations
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Pathogenesis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the clinical features of Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) and how is it diagnosed? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Treatment and prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Walling A, et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome. American Family Physician. 2013;87:191.
- Salmon DA, et al. Association between Guillain-Barre syndrome and influenza A (H1N1) 2009 monovalent inactivated vaccines in the USA: A meta-analysis. The Lancet. 2013;381:1461.
- Cruse RP, et al. Overview of Guillain-Barre syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2014.
- Van den Berg B, et al. Mortality in Guillain-Barre syndrome. Neurology. 2013;80:1650.
- Mauermann ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2014.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.