The exact cause of Guillain-Barre syndrome isn't known. The disorder usually appears days or weeks after a respiratory or digestive tract infection. Rarely, recent surgery or immunization can trigger Guillain-Barre syndrome.
In Guillain-Barre syndrome, your immune system — which usually attacks only invading organisms — begins attacking the nerves. In AIDP, the most common form of Guillain-Barre syndrome in the U.S., the nerves' protective covering (myelin sheath) is damaged. The damage prevents nerves from transmitting signals to your brain, causing weakness, numbness or paralysis.
Jun. 03, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Pathogenesis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the clinical features of Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) and how is it diagnosed? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Treatment and prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Walling A, et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome. American Family Physician. 2013;87:191.
- Salmon DA, et al. Association between Guillain-Barre syndrome and influenza A (H1N1) 2009 monovalent inactivated vaccines in the USA: A meta-analysis. The Lancet. 2013;381:1461.
- Cruse RP, et al. Overview of Guillain-Barre syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2014.
- Van den Berg B, et al. Mortality in Guillain-Barre syndrome. Neurology. 2013;80:1650.
- Mauermann ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2014.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.