Here are some tips to reduce your child's risk of greenstick fractures:
Jun. 18, 2013
- Encourage regular exercise, which builds strong bones.
- Ensure that your child always wears safety gear for sports.
- Use car seats and seat belts at every age.
- Provide adequate calcium in your child's diet. Check with your doctor to see how much calcium your child needs, because the amount varies with age.
- Green NE, et al. Skeletal trauma in children. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-4900-5..X1000-X--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-4900-5&uniqId=406908857-2. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Larson NA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 11, 2013.
- Fractures. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries_poisoning/fractures_dislocations_and_sprains/fractures.html?qt=greenstick&alt=sh. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Hay WW, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics. 21st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=14. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Wang J, et al. Diagnosis and assessment of distal forearm fractures in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Forearm fractures in children. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00039. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Schweich P. Closed reduction and casting of distal forearm fractures in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.