You're likely to start by seeing your primary care doctor. He or she may refer you to a specialist in skin conditions (dermatologist).
What you can do
Before your appointment, you might want to list answers to the following questions:
- Have you recently traveled to a new area or spent significant time outdoors?
- Do you have pets, or have you recently had contact with new animals?
- Are any family members or friends having similar symptoms?
- What medications or supplements do you take regularly?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:
- When did your skin condition first appear?
- Does your rash cause any discomfort? Does it itch?
- Have your symptoms become worse or stayed the same over time?
- Have you been treating your skin condition with any medications or creams?
- Does anything seem to improve — or worsen — your symptoms?
- Do you have any other health conditions, such as diabetes or thyroid problems?