You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor or a general practitioner. However, in some cases you may be referred to a specialist in skin conditions (dermatologist).
What you can do
Before your appointment, you might want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- Have you recently traveled to a new area or spent significant time outdoors?
- Do you have pets, or have you recently had contact with new animals?
- Are any family members or friends having similar symptoms?
- What medications or supplements do you take regularly?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:
Jan. 25, 2013
- When did your skin condition first appear?
- Does your rash cause any discomfort? Does it itch?
- Have your symptoms become worse or stayed the same over time?
- Have you been treating your skin condition with any medications or creams?
- Does anything seem to improve — or worsen — your symptoms?
- Do you have any other health conditions, such as diabetes or thyroid problems?
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Nov. 15, 2012.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Nov. 15, 2012.
- Brodell R. Granuloma annulare. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 15, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Nov. 15, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.