Even after they're under control, seizures can affect your life. Grand mal seizures can be frightening to those around you.
Children may get teased or be embarrassed by their condition, and both children and adults may be frustrated by living with the constant threat of another seizure. Poor self-esteem, depression and suicide are increased in people who have repeated seizures.
Most states restrict those who've had seizures from driving until they've gone a long time without a seizure. Even recreational activities can be affected, because you can't do certain activities, such as swimming, alone.
You may find it helpful to talk with other people who are in the same situation you are. Besides offering support, they may also have advice or tips for coping that you'd never considered.
The Epilepsy Foundation has a network of support groups, as well as online forums, for teens and adults who have seizures and for parents of children who have seizures. You can reach the Epilepsy Foundation at 800-332-1000 or through its website.
You can also ask your doctor if he or she knows of any support groups in your area.
June 10, 2014
- Seizures and epilepsy: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/epilepsy/detail_epilepsy.htm. Accessed March 11, 2014.
- Tonic-clonic seizures. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/seizures/genconvulsive/tonicseizures.cfm. Accessed March 11, 2014.
- Schachter SC. Evaluation of the first seizure in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2014.
- Seizure disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/seizure_disorders/seizure_disorders.html. Accessed March 11, 2014.
- Schmidt D, et al. Drug treatment of epilepsy in adults. British Medical Journal. 2014;348:g254.
- FDA Drug safety communication: Aseptic meningitis risk with use of seizure drug Lamictal. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm221847.htm. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Ahmed R, et al. Epilepsy in pregnancy. Australian Family Physician. 2014;43:112.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.