Lifestyle and home remedies
Know which foods to avoid and which foods to choose if you have gout.
Learn ways to trim the fat from meat and poultry without sacrificing taste and enjoyment.
Stressed out? Try meditation. Learn easy, quick techniques that you can use at work, waiting in line or virtually anywhere.
Nov. 25, 2014
- Hochberg MC, et al. Rheumatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Pluta RM, et al. Gout. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2010;304:2314.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Gout. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/Practice/Clinical/Patients/Diseases_And_Conditions/Gout/ . Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Questions and answers about gout. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Gout/default.asp. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Moi JY, et al. Lifestyle interventions for acute gout. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010519.pub2/abstract. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Van Derme CG, et al. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for acute gout. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010120.pub2/abstract. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Becker MA. Treatment of acute gout. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Becker MA. Prevention of recurrent gout. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Gout. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- Kolasinski SL. Food, drink and herbs: Alternative therapies and gout. Current Rheumatology Reports. 2014;16:409.
- Khanna D, et al. 2012 American College of Rheumatology guidelines for management of gout. Part 1: Systematic nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapeutic approaches to hyperuricemia. Arthritis Care and Research. 2012;64:1431.
- AskMayoExpert. Gout. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Chang-Miller April (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 29, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.