Gout is characterized by sudden, severe attacks of pain, redness and tenderness in joints, often the joint at the base of the big toe.
Gout — a complex form of arthritis — can affect anyone. Men are more likely to get gout, but women become increasingly susceptible to gout after menopause.
An attack of gout can occur suddenly, often waking you up in the middle of the night with the sensation that your big toe is on fire. The affected joint is hot, swollen and so tender that even the weight of the sheet on it may seem intolerable.
Fortunately, gout is treatable, and there are ways to reduce the risk that gout will recur.
Nov. 25, 2014
- Hochberg MC, et al. Rheumatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Pluta RM, et al. Gout. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2010;304:2314.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Gout. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/Practice/Clinical/Patients/Diseases_And_Conditions/Gout/ . Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Questions and answers about gout. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Gout/default.asp. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Moi JY, et al. Lifestyle interventions for acute gout. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010519.pub2/abstract. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Van Derme CG, et al. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for acute gout. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010120.pub2/abstract. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Becker MA. Treatment of acute gout. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Becker MA. Prevention of recurrent gout. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Gout. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- Kolasinski SL. Food, drink and herbs: Alternative therapies and gout. Current Rheumatology Reports. 2014;16:409.
- Khanna D, et al. 2012 American College of Rheumatology guidelines for management of gout. Part 1: Systematic nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapeutic approaches to hyperuricemia. Arthritis Care and Research. 2012;64:1431.
- AskMayoExpert. Gout. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Chang-Miller April (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 29, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.