Factors that may increase your risk of gonorrhea infection include:
Jan. 02, 2014
- Younger age
- A new sex partner
- Multiple sex partners
- Previous gonorrhea diagnosis
- Having other sexually transmitted infections
- Gonorrhea. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/gonorrhea/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Rotblatt H, et al. There's no place like home: First-year use of the "I Know" home testing program for chlamydia and gonorrhea. American Journal of Public Health. 2013;103:1376.
- CDC fact sheet: Gonorrhea. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/STDFact-gonorrhea-detailed.htm. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Workowski K. Chlamydia and gonorrhea. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2013;158:ITC2-1-16.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, et al. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2010. MMWR. 2010;59:1. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5912a1.htm. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Stewart CMW, et al. Assessment of self-taken swabs versus clinician taken swab cultures for diagnosing gonorrhea in women: Single center, diagnostic accuracy study. British Journal of Medicine. 2012;345:e8107.
- Two new promising treatment regimens for gonorrhea. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2013/Gonorrhea-Treatment-Trial-PressRelease.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2013.
- CDC no longer recommends oral drug for gonorrhea treatment. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2012/GCTx-Guidelines-PressRelease.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.