Gonorrhea is an infection caused by a sexually transmitted bacterium that can infect both males and females. Gonorrhea most often affects the urethra, rectum or throat. In females, gonorrhea can also infect the cervix.
Gonorrhea is most commonly spread during sex. But babies can be infected during childbirth if their mothers are infected. In babies, gonorrhea most commonly affects the eyes.
Gonorrhea is a common infection that, in many cases, causes no symptoms. You may not even know that you're infected. Abstaining from sex, using a condom if you do have sex and being in a mutually monogamous relationship are the best ways to prevent sexually transmitted infections.
Jan. 02, 2014
- Gonorrhea. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/gonorrhea/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Rotblatt H, et al. There's no place like home: First-year use of the "I Know" home testing program for chlamydia and gonorrhea. American Journal of Public Health. 2013;103:1376.
- CDC fact sheet: Gonorrhea. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/STDFact-gonorrhea-detailed.htm. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Workowski K. Chlamydia and gonorrhea. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2013;158:ITC2-1-16.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, et al. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2010. MMWR. 2010;59:1. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5912a1.htm. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Stewart CMW, et al. Assessment of self-taken swabs versus clinician taken swab cultures for diagnosing gonorrhea in women: Single center, diagnostic accuracy study. British Journal of Medicine. 2012;345:e8107.
- Two new promising treatment regimens for gonorrhea. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2013/Gonorrhea-Treatment-Trial-PressRelease.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2013.
- CDC no longer recommends oral drug for gonorrhea treatment. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2012/GCTx-Guidelines-PressRelease.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.