An occasional cough is normal and healthy. A cough that persists for weeks signals an underlying problem.
Hashimoto's disease (chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) causes thyroid gland inflammation and often an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). Treatment may involve thyroid hormone replacement medication.
Hyperthyroidism occurs when your thyroid gland produces too much of the hormone thyroxine — speeding up your metabolism and sometimes leading to serious complications.
Jan. 02, 2014
- Goiter. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-a-goiter/. Accessed Sept. 3, 2013.
- Medeiros-Neto G, et al. Thyroid disorders and diseases: Approach to and treatment of goiters. Medical Clinics of North America. 2012;96:351.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 3, 2013.
- Goiter. The Hormone Foundation. http://www.hormone.org/questions-and-answers/2013/goiter. Accessed Sept. 3, 2013.
- Brunton LL, et al. Goodman & Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 12th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=28. Accessed Sept. 4, 2013.
- Simple nontoxic goiter (euthyroid goiter). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/thyroid_disorders/simple_nontoxic_goiter.html. Accessed Sept. 4, 2013.
- Alexander EK, et al. Case 19-2013: A 35-year-old woman with recurrent goiter and ductal carcinoma of the breast. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368:2416.
- Iodine deficiency. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/. Accessed Sep. 4, 2013.
- Nippoldt TN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 23, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.