Bad breath can usually be eliminated by practicing better dental hygiene. Sometimes, though, bad breath is an indication of a more serious condition.
How often do you need to replace your toothbrush? Is mouth rinse necessary? Get the facts on how to keep your smile healthy.
Oral lichen planus, a chronic inflammatory disorder, appears as lesions in the mouth that may cause pain and burning sensations.
This severe form of gum disease can lead to tooth loss and may even increase your risk of heart attack and stroke.
Although trench mouth is much less common than in years past, some people still get this painful gum infection. Brushing and flossing are keys to prevention.
Wegener's granulomatosis is an uncommon disease that causes blood vessel inflammation that can damage lungs, kidneys and other organs. Untreated, it can be fatal.
Jan. 22, 2014
- Gingivitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/periodontal_disorders/gingivitis.html. Accessed June 24, 2013.
- Wilder RS, et al. Gingivitis and periodontitis in adults: Classification and dental treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 24, 2013.
- Gingivitis. American Academy of Periodontology. http://www.perio.org/consumer/types-gum-disease.html. Accessed June 24, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed June 25, 2013.
- Kawar N, et al. Periodontal disease for the primary care physician. Disease-a-Month. 2011;57:174.
- Darby I. Non-surgical management of periodontal disease. Australian Dental Journal 2009;54(suppl):S86.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 14, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.