Giant cell arteritis can cause the following complications:
Oct. 02, 2015
- Blindness. Diminished blood flow to your eyes can cause sudden, painless vision loss in one or, rarely, both eyes. Loss of vision is usually permanent.
- Aortic aneurysm. An aneurysm is a bulge that forms in a weakened blood vessel, usually in the aorta, the large artery that runs down the center of your chest and abdomen. An aortic aneurysm may burst, causing life-threatening internal bleeding. Because this complication may occur even years after the initial diagnosis of giant cell arteritis, your doctor may monitor the health of your aorta with annual chest X-rays or other imaging tests, such as ultrasound and CT.
- Stroke. This is an uncommon complication of giant cell arteritis.
- Borchers AT, et al. Giant cell arteritis: A review of classification, pathophysiology, geoepidemiology and treatment. Autoimmunity Reviews. 2012;11:A544.
- Giant cell arteritis. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Giant-Cell-Arteritis. Accessed Aug. 24, 2015.
- Mukhtyar C, et al. EULAR recommendations for the management of large vessel vasculitis. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases. 2009;68:318. http://ard.bmj.com. Accessed Aug. 24, 2015.
- Unizony S, et al. Inpatient complications in patients with giant cell arteritis: Decreased mortality and increased risk of thromboembolism, delirium and adrenal insufficiency. Rheumatology. 2015;54:1360.
- Weyand CM, et al. Giant-cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:50.
- Smith JH, et al. Giant cell arteritis. Headache. 2014;54:1273.
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Polymyalgia/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 24, 2015.
- Kermani TA, et al. Disease relapses among patients with giant cell arteritis: A prospective, longitudinal cohort study. Journal of Rheumatology. 2015;42:7.
- Singh AG, et al. Visual manifestations in giant cell arteritis: Trend over 5 decades in a population-based cohort. Journal of Rheumatology. 2015;42:2.
- Osteoporosis: Handout on health. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/osteoporosis_hoh.asp. Accessed Aug. 25, 2015.
- Mollan SP, et al. Aspirin as adjunctive treatment for giant cell arteritis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.16.Ob/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Aug. 25, 2015.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Sept. 3, 2015.