Gestational diabetes develops during pregnancy (gestation). Like other types of diabetes, gestational diabetes affects how your cells use sugar (glucose). Gestational diabetes causes high blood sugar that can affect your pregnancy and your baby's health.
Any pregnancy complication is concerning, but there's good news. Expectant moms can help control gestational diabetes by eating healthy foods, exercising and, if necessary, taking medication. Controlling blood sugar can pevent a difficult birth and keep you and your baby healthy.
In gestational diabetes, blood sugar usually returns to normal soon after delivery. But if you've had gestational diabetes, you're at risk for type 2 diabetes. You'll continue working with your health care team to monitor and manage your blood sugar.
Apr. 25, 2014
- Caughey AB. Obstetrical management of pregnancies complicated by gestational diabetes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Gestational diabetes. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/gestational/what-is-gestational-diabetes.html. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Coustan DR, et al. Medical management and follow-up of gestational diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Gestational diabetes: A guide for pregnant women. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/index.cfm/search-for-guides-reviews-and-reports/?productid=162&pageaction=displayproduct. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Greuter MJE, et al. Quality of guidelines in the management of diabetes in pregnancy: A systematic review. BioMed Central Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2012;12:58.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 137. Gestational diabetes mellitus. Obstetrics and gynecology. 2013;122:406.
- Blumer I, et al. Diabetes and pregnancy: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2013;98:4227.
- Coustan DR, et al. Screening and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus during pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.