Lifestyle and home remedies
The usual advice is eight hours a night, but many factors, such as age and genetics, influence how much shut-eye you need.
Quitting smoking is hard, no question. Use these tried-and-true strategies to help you quit, and refer back to them as often as needed.
Want to tip the scales in your favor? Here are six ways to win at weight loss and keep the pounds off.
Scleroderma is a group of rare diseases that involves hardening and thickening of the skin. Internal organs can also be damaged.
Tests and diagnosis
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Treatments and drugs
When you're breast-feeding, medications aren't necessarily off-limits — but caution is important. Get answers to common questions about breast-feeding and medications.
July 31, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Kahrilas PJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 1, 2014.
- Kahrilas PJ. Medical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 1, 2014.
- Schwaitzberg SD. Surgical management of gastroesophageal reflux in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Jan. 5, 2014.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Kahrilas PJ. Complications of gastroesophageal reflux in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 5, 2014.
- Katz PO, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108:308.
- AskMayoExpert. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Weight management. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/recommen.htm. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. April 24, 2011.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 23, 2013.
- Fass R. Alternative therapeutic approaches to chronic proton pump inhibitor. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;10:338.
- Patrick L. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): A review of conventional and alternative treatments. Alternative Medicine Review. 2011;16:116.
- Safe use of complementary health products and practices. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/safety. Accessed Jan. 5, 2014.
- Lipham JC, et al. The LINX® reflux management system: Confirmed safety and efficacy now at 4 years. Surgical Endoscopy. 2012;26:2944.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2013-2014. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Alexander JA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 12, 2014.