If you're concerned about the appearance of your tongue, make an appointment with your dentist.
Prepare questions ahead of time to make the most of your appointment. Basic questions to ask include:
- What's the likely cause of my condition?
- Could there be any other possible causes?
- Is my condition permanent?
- What treatments are available?
- Is there anything I can do at home to relieve discomfort?
- What should I do if my condition flares up again?
Questions your dentist may ask
Be prepared to answer the following questions:
Jul. 25, 2013
- When did the lesions first appear?
- Have the lesions changed in appearance or location on your tongue?
- Have you had any other lesions in your mouth?
- Have you experienced any discomfort or pain?
- Does anything, such as spicy or acidic food, seem to trigger pain?
- Have you had any other symptoms that may seem unrelated to the condition of your tongue?
- Have you had a fever?
- Usatine RP, et al. The Color Atlas of Family Medicine. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=678. Accessed April 24, 2013.
- Reamy BV, et al. Common tongue conditions in primary care. American Family Physician. 2010;81:627.
- AskMayoExpert. Geographic tongue. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Miloglu O, et al. The prevalence and risk factors associated with benign migratory glossitis lesions in 7619 Turkish dental outpatients. Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology, oral radiology, and endodontics. 2009;107:e29.
- Honarmand M, et al. Geographic tongue and associated risk factors among Iranian dental patients. Iranian Journal of Public Health. 2013;42:215.
- Picciani B, et al. Geographic stomatitis: An oral manifestation of psoriasis? Journal of Dermatological Case Reports. 2012;6:113.
- Sheridan PJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 15, 2013.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 11, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.