HPV infection, a common viral infection, can cause warts and related lesions. Some types of HPV infection cause cervical cancer and some other cancers.
Vaginal health is too important to ignore. Get the facts about how to keep your vagina healthy.
Tests and diagnosis
Getting a Pap smear regularly is your best defense against cervical cancer. Understand how a Pap smear is done and what abnormal test results mean.
Jan. 02, 2014
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 5, 2013.
- Genital HPV infection: Fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm. Accessed Sept. 5, 2013.
- Breen E, et al. Condylomata acuminata (anogenital warts). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 5, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 5, 2013.
- Making sense of your Pap and HPV test results. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/pap/default.htm. Accessed Sept. 5, 2013.
- Frequently asked questions: Special procedures — Cervical cancer screening. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/ EC8117ABF5564928A740C4D1B3310E44.ashx. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, et al. Recommendations on the use of quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine in males — Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recommendations and Reports. 2011:60;1705. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6050a3.htm. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Ali H, et al. Genital warts in young Australians five years into national human papillomavirus vaccination programme: National surveillance data. BMJ. 2013;346:f2032.
- Mikolajczyk RT, et al. Changes in incidence of anogenital warts diagnoses after the introduction of human papillomavirus vaccination in Germany — an ecologic study. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2013;40:28.
- Bauer HM, et al. Evidence of human papillomavirus vaccine effectiveness in reducing genital warts: An analysis of California public family planning administrative claims data, 2007-2010. American Journal of Public Health. 2012;102:833.
- Macartney KK, et al. Safety of human papillomavirus vaccines: A review. Drug Safety. 2013;36:393.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 16, 2013.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 24, 2013.