Your risk of becoming infected with genital herpes may increase if you:
May 21, 2014
- Are a woman. Women are more likely to have genital herpes than are men. The virus is sexually transmitted more easily from men to women than it is from women to men.
- Have multiple sexual partners. Each additional sexual partner raises your risk of being exposed to the virus that causes genital herpes.
- Genital herpes: CDC fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/STDFact-herpes-detailed.htm. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ054. Genital herpes. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq054.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140109T0914550331. Accessed Jan. 9, 2014.
- Albrecht MA. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations and diagnosis of genital herpes simplex virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Genital herpes. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/genitalherpes/pages/default.aspx. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Albrecht MA. Treatment of genital herpes simplex virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.