If you think you have a sexually transmitted illness, such as genital herpes, make an appointment to see your family doctor or gynecologist.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you might want to write a list that answers the following questions:
- What are your symptoms? When did they start?
- Do you have a new sexual partner or multiple partners?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection?
- Do you regularly use condoms?
- What medications or supplements do you take regularly?
Some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What kinds of tests do I need?
- Should I be tested for other sexually transmitted infections?
- Should my partner be tested?
- Do I need to abstain from sexual activity during treatment?
- How can I avoid infecting my partner?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, such as:
May. 21, 2011
- Are you experiencing any pelvic pain?
- Do you have any pain while urinating?
- Do you have any sores or unusual discharge?
- Genital herpes: CDC fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/STDFact-Herpes.htm. Accessed March 8, 2011.
- Genital herpes. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp054.cfm. Accessed March 8, 2011.
- Genital herpes simplex. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Albrecht MA. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations and diagnosis of genital herpes simplex virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Whitley RJ. Herpes simplex virus infections. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Albrecht MA. Treatment of genital herpes simplex virus infection. .http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Wald A. Prevention of genital herpes virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 10, 2011.