Dementia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes and treatments of this mental deterioration.
Thrombocytopenia is the medical term for a low platelet count in the blood. It usually occurs as a side effect of a disease or medication.
Anemia occurs in many forms, but all involve a shortage of healthy red blood cells. Treatment depends on what's causing your anemia.
An enlarged spleen is usually a sign of an underlying problem. Treatment varies, depending on what's causing the enlargement.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Tests and diagnosis
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
Stem cell transplants can bring certain cancers and other diseases under control, or even cure them. Find out what's involved in this complex procedure.
Jul. 08, 2011
- Eng CM. Genetics; clinical manifestations; and diagnosis of Gaucher disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Lysososmal storage disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec19/ch296/ch296f.html. Accessed March 6, 2011.
- Learning about Gaucher disease. National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/25521505. Accessed March 6, 2011.
- NINDS Gaucher's disease information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gauchers/gauchers.htm. Accessed March 6, 2011.
- Eng CM. Treatment of Gaucher disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Mistry PK, et al. A reappraisal of Gaucher disease — diagnosis and disease management algorithms. American Journal of Hematology. http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/cgi-bin/jhome/35105. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- ACOG committee opinion: Preconception and prenatal carrier screening for genetic diseases in individuals of eastern European Jewish descent. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2009;114:950.
- Piran S, et al. Gaucher disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis of bone complications and their response to treatment. Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease. 2010;33:271.
- Gross SJ, et al. ACMG practice guidelines: Carrier screening in individuals of Ashkenazi Jewish descent. Genetics in Medicine. 2008;10:54.