At Mayo Clinic, tests for gastroparesis involve the entire digestive tract. It's important to pinpoint your problem so that you can get the right treatment.
Mayo's specialized tests include:
Jan. 15, 2014
- Detailed GI transit assessment. This test measures how food moves through your digestive tract. Mayo Clinic specialists use a four-hour gastric emptying study to obtain the most precise results.
- Gastric accommodation test. This test measures how much the stomach expands after a meal. It was developed by Mayo Clinic researchers.
- Gastroduodenal manometry. In this test, the muscles involved in motility of the stomach and upper small bowel are studied. This test lasts five to six hours in order to obtain the most accurate results.
- Autonomic nervous system testing. A range of nerve functions involved in digestion are analyzed. These tests were developed in conjunction with Mayo autonomic neurologists — doctors who specialize in the autonomic nervous system.
- Paraneoplastic serological testing. This is a blood test that screens blood samples for antibodies associated with rare nervous system disorders that can cause severe gastroparesis. Mayo is one of the few medical centers to offer this blood test.
- Camilleri M, et al. Clinical guideline: Management of gastroparesis. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108:18.
- Gastroparesis. The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/gastroparesis/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed Oct. 27, 2014.
- Gastroparesis. American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/gastroparesis/. Accessed Oct. 27, 2014.
- Camilleri M. Gastroparesis: Etiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 27, 2014.
- Camilleri M. Treatment of gastroparesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 27, 2014.
- Bouras EP, et al. Gastroparesis: From concepts to management. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. 2013;28:437.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 14, 2014.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 25, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.