The signs and symptoms of gastritis include:
- Gnawing or burning ache or pain (indigestion) in your upper abdomen that may become either worse or better with eating
- A feeling of fullness in your upper abdomen after eating
Gastritis doesn't always cause signs and symptoms.
When to see a doctor
Nearly everyone has had indigestion and stomach irritation. Most cases of indigestion are short-lived and don't require medical care. See your doctor if you have signs and symptoms of gastritis for a week or longer. Tell your doctor if your stomach discomfort occurs after taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs, especially aspirin or other pain relievers.
If you are vomiting blood, have blood in your stools or have stools that appear black, see your doctor right away to determine the cause.
May 14, 2014
- Dickson BA, et al. Classification and diagnosis of gastritis and gastropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-helicobacter-pylori-infection. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Gastritis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastritis/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Guidelines for the management of dyspepsia. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-dyspepsia/. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Jensen PJ, et al. Acute and chronic gastritis due to Helicobacter pylori. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Mapel D, et al. The epidemiology, diagnosis, and cost of dyspepsia and Helicobacter pylori gastritis: A case-control analysis in the southwestern United States. Helicobacter. 2013;18:54.
- FDA drug safety communication: Possible increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist and spine with the use of proton pump inhibitors. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213206.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.