Gastritis describes a group of conditions with one thing in common: inflammation of the lining of the stomach. The inflammation of gastritis is most often the result of infection with the same bacterium that causes most stomach ulcers. Injury, regular use of certain pain relievers and drinking too much alcohol also can contribute to gastritis.
Gastritis may occur suddenly (acute gastritis), or it can occur slowly over time (chronic gastritis). In some cases, gastritis can lead to ulcers and an increased risk of stomach cancer. For most people, however, gastritis isn't serious and improves quickly with treatment.
May 14, 2014
- Dickson BA, et al. Classification and diagnosis of gastritis and gastropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-helicobacter-pylori-infection. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Gastritis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastritis/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Guidelines for the management of dyspepsia. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-dyspepsia/. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Jensen PJ, et al. Acute and chronic gastritis due to Helicobacter pylori. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Mapel D, et al. The epidemiology, diagnosis, and cost of dyspepsia and Helicobacter pylori gastritis: A case-control analysis in the southwestern United States. Helicobacter. 2013;18:54.
- FDA drug safety communication: Possible increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist and spine with the use of proton pump inhibitors. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213206.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.