Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. Weaknesses in the mucus-lined barrier that protects your stomach wall allow your digestive juices to damage and inflame your stomach lining. A number of diseases and conditions can increase your risk of gastritis.
Gastritis can develop suddenly (acute gastritis) or gradually and last for an extended period (chronic gastritis).
May. 14, 2014
- Dickson BA, et al. Classification and diagnosis of gastritis and gastropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-helicobacter-pylori-infection. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Gastritis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastritis/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Guidelines for the management of dyspepsia. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-dyspepsia/. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Jensen PJ, et al. Acute and chronic gastritis due to Helicobacter pylori. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Mapel D, et al. The epidemiology, diagnosis, and cost of dyspepsia and Helicobacter pylori gastritis: A case-control analysis in the southwestern United States. Helicobacter. 2013;18:54.
- FDA drug safety communication: Possible increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist and spine with the use of proton pump inhibitors. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213206.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.