Having bulging pouches (diverticulosis) in your digestive tract isn't necessarily a concern. But infected pouches (diverticulitis) can be a serious problem.
Cholecystitis is an inflammation of the gallbladder that's often linked to gallstones.
Most cases of hiatal hernia are small and don't require treatment. A larger hiatal hernia can cause heartburn and other symptoms.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
May. 02, 2014
- Abraczinskas D, et al. Intestinal gas and bloating. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 17, 2013.
- Gas in the digestive tract. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gas. Accessed Dec. 17, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Dec. 20, 2013.
- Living with gas in the digestive tract. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/gas-in-the-digestive-tract. Accessed Dec. 20, 2013.
- Gas-related complaints. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal_disorders/symptoms_of_gi_disorders/gas-related_complaints.html. Accessed Dec. 20, 2013.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 9, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Jan. 20, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.