You're likely to start by seeing your primary care doctor. He or she may refer you to a hand surgeon.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write answers to the following questions:
- How long have you had the lump? Does it come and go?
- Have you ever injured the joint nearest the lump?
- Do you have arthritis?
- What medications and supplements do you take regularly?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:
- Do you have any pain or tenderness?
- Is it interfering with your ability to use your joint?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?