Ganglion cyst care at Mayo Clinic
Surgery to remove ganglion cysts can be performed through one larger incision or arthroscopically, via several small incisions. Some studies indicate that arthroscopy works as well as open surgery and may heal faster.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo doctors and surgeons have expertise removing ganglion cysts through one larger incision or arthroscopically, through several smaller incisions. Some studies indicate that arthroscopy works as well as open surgery and may heal faster.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's orthopedic department's expertise and rankings.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked highly performing for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Minnesota has been recognized as one of the top Rehabilitation hospitals by U.S. News & World Report.
Aug. 16, 2017
- De Keyser F. Ganglion cysts of the wrist and hand. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 4, 2015.
- Frontera WR, et al. Hand and wrist ganglia. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 4, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Ganglia. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier, 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 4, 2015.
- Ganglion cysts. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://www.assh.org/handcare/Hand-Anatomy/Details-Page/articleId/27970. Accessed Nov. 4, 2015.
- Ganglion cyst. American College of Foot and Ankle surgeons. http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/ganglion-cyst.htm. Accessed Nov. 4, 2015.
- Amadio PC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 9, 2015.