When needed, treatment focuses on resolving the underlying cause of galactorrhea.
Sometimes doctors can't determine an exact cause of galactorrhea. Your doctor might recommend treatment anyway if you have bothersome or embarrassing nipple discharge. In such instances, you might be given a medication to block the effects of prolactin or to lower the amount of prolactin in your body. Reducing prolactin levels may eliminate galactorrhea.
Jan. 17, 2013
|Underlying cause of galactorrhea
||Stop taking medication, change dose or switch to another medication. Make medication changes only if your doctor says it's OK to do so.
|Underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism)
||Take a medication, such as levothyroxine, to counter insufficient hormone production by your thyroid gland (thyroid replacement therapy).
|Pituitary tumor (prolactinoma)
||Use a medication to shrink the tumor or have surgery to remove it.
||Try a medication to lower your prolactin level, such as bromocriptine (Parlodel) or cabergoline, and minimize or eliminate nipple discharge. Side effects of these medications commonly include nausea, dizziness and headaches.
- Lentz GM, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-0-323-06986-1&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-06986-1..C2009-0-48752-X--TOP. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Snyder PJ. Causes of hyperprolactinemia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Mancini T, et al. Hyperprolactinemia and prolactinomas. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America. 2008;37:67.
- Snyder PJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of hyperprolactinemia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Snyder PJ. Treatment of hyperprolactinemia due to lactotroph adenoma and other causes. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Jan. 3, 2013.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 4, 2013.