Why choose Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
July 22, 2014
- Newest technology and treatments. Eye doctors (ophthalmologists) at Mayo Clinic offer the latest diagnostic technology and most advanced treatment options for Fuchs' dystrophy.
- Experience and expertise. Mayo Clinic ophthalmologists have extensive experience in treating Fuchs' dystrophy, including seeing nearly 1,000 people with this condition each year. Mayo Clinic eye specialists provide comprehensive care for people who seek answers about conditions and diseases of their eyes, and they have specialized training in cornea diseases.
- Latest research. For more than 30 years, Mayo Clinic has been a leader in research on Fuchs' dystrophy and cornea transplants. You may be able to participate in clinical studies, helping to further the understanding of the disease for your future treatment or for treatment of your relatives.
- Facts about the cornea and corneal disease. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/cornealdisease. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- What is Fuchs' dystrophy? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/fuchs-dystrophy.cfm. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Patel SV, et al. Anterior corneal aberrations after Descemet's stripping endothelial keratoplasty for Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:1522.
- Gipson IK. Age-related changes and diseases of the ocular surface and cornea. Investigative ophthalmology and visual science. 2013;54:ORSF48.
- Hamill CE, et al. Fuchs endothelial cornea dystrophy: A review of the genetics behind disease development. Seminars in Ophthalmology. 2013;28:281.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2014.
- Wieben ED, et al. A common trinucleotide repeat expansion within the transcription factor 4 (TCF4, E2-2) gene predicts Fuchs corneal dystrophy. PLoS One. 2012;7:e49083. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0049083. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- What is a comprehensive dilated eye exam? National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyeexam.asp. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- The Wills Eye Manual: Office and Emergency Room Diagnosis and Treatment of Eye Disease Gerstenblith AT, et al., eds. Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=booktext&D=books3&AN=01626623/6th_Edition/2&XPATH=/OVIDBOOK%5b1%5d/METADATA%5b1%5d/TBY%5b1%5d/EDITORS%5b1%5d. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 5, 2014.
- Patel SV. Graft survival and endothelial outcomes in the new era of endothelial keratoplasty. Experimental Eye Research. 2012; 95:40.
- Patel SV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 20, 2014.
- Baratz KH, et al. E2-2 protein and Fuchs's corneal dystrophy. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1016.