ResearchBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Mayo Clinic's Ophthalmology Department has a strong tradition of advanced research to improve the diagnosis and treatment of cornea disorders.
Until recently, the cause of most cases of Fuchs' dystrophy was unknown. The first major genetic association of the common form of Fuchs' dystrophy was discovered by researchers at Mayo Clinic. It's related to a mutation in a gene called transcription factor 4 (TCF4.)
Read more about cornea research at Mayo Clinic.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on Fuchs' dystrophy on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
July 22, 2014
- Facts about the cornea and corneal disease. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/cornealdisease. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- What is Fuchs' dystrophy? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/fuchs-dystrophy.cfm. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Patel SV, et al. Anterior corneal aberrations after Descemet's stripping endothelial keratoplasty for Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:1522.
- Gipson IK. Age-related changes and diseases of the ocular surface and cornea. Investigative ophthalmology and visual science. 2013;54:ORSF48.
- Hamill CE, et al. Fuchs endothelial cornea dystrophy: A review of the genetics behind disease development. Seminars in Ophthalmology. 2013;28:281.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2014.
- Wieben ED, et al. A common trinucleotide repeat expansion within the transcription factor 4 (TCF4, E2-2) gene predicts Fuchs corneal dystrophy. PLoS One. 2012;7:e49083. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0049083. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- What is a comprehensive dilated eye exam? National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyeexam.asp. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- The Wills Eye Manual: Office and Emergency Room Diagnosis and Treatment of Eye Disease Gerstenblith AT, et al., eds. Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=booktext&D=books3&AN=01626623/6th_Edition/2&XPATH=/OVIDBOOK%5b1%5d/METADATA%5b1%5d/TBY%5b1%5d/EDITORS%5b1%5d. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 5, 2014.
- Patel SV. Graft survival and endothelial outcomes in the new era of endothelial keratoplasty. Experimental Eye Research. 2012; 95:40.
- Patel SV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 20, 2014.
- Baratz KH, et al. E2-2 protein and Fuchs's corneal dystrophy. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1016.