Factors that increase your risk of developing Fuchs' dystrophy include:
July 22, 2014
- Being female, as Fuchs' dystrophy is slightly more common in women than in men
- Having a family history of Fuchs' dystrophy
- Being over 50
- Facts about the cornea and corneal disease. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/cornealdisease. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- What is Fuchs' dystrophy? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/fuchs-dystrophy.cfm. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Patel SV, et al. Anterior corneal aberrations after Descemet's stripping endothelial keratoplasty for Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:1522.
- Gipson IK. Age-related changes and diseases of the ocular surface and cornea. Investigative ophthalmology and visual science. 2013;54:ORSF48.
- Hamill CE, et al. Fuchs endothelial cornea dystrophy: A review of the genetics behind disease development. Seminars in Ophthalmology. 2013;28:281.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2014.
- Wieben ED, et al. A common trinucleotide repeat expansion within the transcription factor 4 (TCF4, E2-2) gene predicts Fuchs corneal dystrophy. PLoS One. 2012;7:e49083. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0049083. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- What is a comprehensive dilated eye exam? National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyeexam.asp. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- The Wills Eye Manual: Office and Emergency Room Diagnosis and Treatment of Eye Disease Gerstenblith AT, et al., eds. Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=booktext&D=books3&AN=01626623/6th_Edition/2&XPATH=/OVIDBOOK%5b1%5d/METADATA%5b1%5d/TBY%5b1%5d/EDITORS%5b1%5d. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 5, 2014.
- Patel SV. Graft survival and endothelial outcomes in the new era of endothelial keratoplasty. Experimental Eye Research. 2012; 95:40.
- Patel SV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 20, 2014.
- Baratz KH, et al. E2-2 protein and Fuchs's corneal dystrophy. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1016.