Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
In addition to following your doctor's instructions for care, you can try these techniques to help reduce glare or make your eyes feel better.
July 22, 2014
- Apply over-the-counter (nonprescription) salt solution (5 percent sodium chloride) eyedrops or ointment.
- Wear wraparound sunglasses with ultraviolet protection.
- Dry your eyes with a hair dryer. Hold it at arm's length and direct warm — not hot — air across your face two or three times a day. This helps remove excess fluid in the cornea and dry out microscopic swelling and blisters on the surface of the cornea.
- Facts about the cornea and corneal disease. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/cornealdisease. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- What is Fuchs' dystrophy? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/fuchs-dystrophy.cfm. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Patel SV, et al. Anterior corneal aberrations after Descemet's stripping endothelial keratoplasty for Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:1522.
- Gipson IK. Age-related changes and diseases of the ocular surface and cornea. Investigative ophthalmology and visual science. 2013;54:ORSF48.
- Hamill CE, et al. Fuchs endothelial cornea dystrophy: A review of the genetics behind disease development. Seminars in Ophthalmology. 2013;28:281.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2014.
- Wieben ED, et al. A common trinucleotide repeat expansion within the transcription factor 4 (TCF4, E2-2) gene predicts Fuchs corneal dystrophy. PLoS One. 2012;7:e49083. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0049083. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- What is a comprehensive dilated eye exam? National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyeexam.asp. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- The Wills Eye Manual: Office and Emergency Room Diagnosis and Treatment of Eye Disease Gerstenblith AT, et al., eds. Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=booktext&D=books3&AN=01626623/6th_Edition/2&XPATH=/OVIDBOOK%5b1%5d/METADATA%5b1%5d/TBY%5b1%5d/EDITORS%5b1%5d. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 5, 2014.
- Patel SV. Graft survival and endothelial outcomes in the new era of endothelial keratoplasty. Experimental Eye Research. 2012; 95:40.
- Patel SV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 20, 2014.
- Baratz KH, et al. E2-2 protein and Fuchs's corneal dystrophy. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1016.